Kali Audio’s IN-5 is a 3-way studio monitor with an 5-inch woofer and a 4-Inch midrange with a coaxial 1-inch tweeter. The unique architecture of the Midrange and Tweeter eliminates off-axis lobing, giving the IN-5 an incredibly accurate, lifelike stereo image. The strength of the stereo image, combined with the clarity of the speakers overall, make it extremely easy to build a complete, detailed picture of your mix. Every aspect of your mix is presented with clarity and accuracy, allowing you to dial in precisely the sound you want.
The IN-5 features an 8-inch woofer, a 5-inch mid-range driver, and a 1-inch soft dome tweeter. The mid-range driver and the tweeter are coincident, meaning that they share the same acoustic center. You might have heard the terms “coaxial” or “concentric” to describe this arrangement. Those terms are technically correct as well.
Because of the coincident placement of the mid-range and tweeter, and the crossover of the woofer to the mid-range (280 Hz,) the IN-5 is an acoustic point source. This gives it an ideal directivity characteristic for a studio monitor. You will be able to hear a very lifelike stereo image, with details placed clearly and consistently. Off-axis lobing that is unavoidable in a 2-way system is virtually eliminated with the IN58.
Substantial work was done to optimize the mid-range driver not only for its own acoustic performance, but also for its role as the waveguide for the tweeter. The shape is very precise to allow for controlled directivity at mid range to tweeter crossover, ensuring accurate summing both on- and off-axis. Excursion on the midrange is limited to less than 1mm peak to peak, so that the oscillation of the mid-range does not have a negative effect on
The first in Kali’s “2nd Wave” of loudspeakers, the IN-5 features a Class-D amp with a 12 dB reduction in self noise, an upgraded DSP section, and upgraded transducers for better reliability.
On top of this, the IN-5 incorporates all of the benefits of Kali’s Lone Pine series monitors. These include optimized woofers for powerful, clean bass, a front-firing port tube, and our boundary compensation EQs.
- 5-inch powered studio monitor with coaxial 1-inch textile-dome tweeter and 4-inch optimized-profile midrange driver
- Tri-amped design with integrated Class D power amp
- Ruler-flat frequency response — there’s nothing hyped about this speaker
- Exhibits negligible levels of distortion — a full 6dB lower than its nearest competitor
- Boasts 20dB of headroom while playing continuously at 85dB
- Large magnets and voice coils produce super-accurate low-end response and impressive low-frequency extension
- Coaxial design exhibits superb directivity — better than any non-coaxial design —covering your entire room uniformly
- Low-noise port tube yields clean, punchy bass with zero chuffing
- Boundary EQ allows you to tailor the speaker to any environment
- LF/HF trims for fine-tuning the speaker’s response
- Balanced XLR and TRS inputs, and an unbalanced RCA input