Sontronics Apollo 2 20hz to 18khz Stereo Phantom Powered Ribbon Microphone
SONTRONICS APOLLO 2 stereo ribbon microphone
Since the first release our ground-breaking APOLLO phantom-powered stereo ribbon microphone a decade ago, it became a must-have for studio owners, venues, composers and sound stages all round the world, from Glyndebourne Opera House to the Malibu studio of composer Trevor Morris, from Paul Epworth’s Church to Abbey Road Studios (where their pair of APOLLOs is used almost daily on their Steinway grand piano and over the orchestra or choir for most of the Hollywood soundtracks recorded in Studio One).
Following years of development with our other microphones, and our exciting experiments with higher and higher quality components (resulting in our multi-award-winning, beautifully crafted ARIA and MERCURY valve microphones), we decided to apply and incorporate these same improvements to our ribbon microphones. And so APOLLO 2 has landed (along with SIGMA 2 and DELTA 2) to take your recordings to an astoundingly high level.
Like the original, our APOLLO 2 boasts two highly sensitive ribbon elements set in an X-Y Blumlein configuration, ideal for all stereo miking applications.
APOLLO 2’s uniquely designed, laser-welded cylindrical grille enables the microphone to capture a truly stunning and superbly accurate three-dimensional image. This means APOLLO 2 is perfect not only for orchestral, choral and piano recordings, but also for capturing the ambience and character of your entire recording space.
APOLLO 2 also works amazingly well as an overhead microphone for drums and percussion or smaller instrument and vocal ensembles, giving natural, expansive results with perfect detail and clarity in the high frequencies and a balanced depth and fullness to the mids and lows.
If required, either of the two ribbon elements can be used in isolation, enabling APOLLO 2 to behave as a mono microphone.
APOLLO 2 is designed as a distance recording microphone and should be used with care as the ribbon elements are very exposed and extremely delicate. However, with sensible placement and careful handling, APOLLO 2 will bring you immense satisfaction for many years to come. For more information about using and caring for your APOLLO 2 or servicing your ribbon elements, see our User Guide here.
The microphone is supplied in a sturdy, foam-padded ABS flightcase together with its unique shockmount and stereo cable.
- Phantom-powered stereo ribbon microphone
- Made in the UK
- Two ribbon motors fixed in X-Y Blumlein formation
- Incredibly open, natural sound
- Ideal for studio or live use
Recommended For :
- Overhead and room miking
- Vocal/choral ensemble & opera
- Chamber and orchestral work
- Drumkit & percussion overhead
- Acoustic guitar
- Frequency response: 20Hz - 18kHz
- Sensitivity: 18mV/Pa -33dB ±1dB
- (0dB = 1V/Pa @ 1,000Hz)
- Polar pattern: Figure-of-eight (x2)
- Impedance: ?150 Ohms
- Equivalent noise level: 10dB (A-weighted)
- Max SPL (for 0.5% THD @ 1kHz): 125dB
- Power: Phantom power 48V required
- Connector: 8-pin connector to two 3-pin XLR Neutrik connectors (cable supplied)
- Dimensions: 260 x 65 x 65mm
- Weight : 744g (1247g with shockmount)
- Comes with: stereo to two XLR connector cable, shockmount, aluminium flightcase